Apricot Tea – Kent & Sussex Tea & Coffee Co.

Before anyone mentions it, I am aware that this is my third review in a row from the Kent & Sussex Tea & Coffee Co. but I bought a lot of samples from them and have been in the mood to try them, so this is what is currently being drunk and reviewed.

Reviews from other companies will be coming along soon, I promise, as I have plenty of other tea to drink — I just need be in the right mood to drink and review them.

Anyway, today’s tea is the extremely drinkable Apricot Tea, which I mentioned in passing yesterday because I had just bought some more of it. As its name suggests it is a black tea flavoured with apricot.



Ingredients: Black Leaf Tea, Natural Apricot flavour and Sunflower Petals.

They describe it thus:

“A China Black Tea scented with the delicate flavour of Apricots. A good looking even leaf with a strong aroma. An excellent refreshing afternoon tea giving you a fruity sweet sensation.”

The Kent & Sussex Tea & Coffee Co. are what I tend to think of as a ‘traditional’ tea supplier. By that, I mean that they are used to dealing with classic teas and aren’t all that far advanced in the ‘blends’ market. This isn’t in any way a criticism as it’s good to have tea suppliers who have an excellent grounding in traditional tea (a bit like the East India Company), but it means that some of their blends have a little less pizazz than more modern retailers such as Adagio and the Bluebird Tea Co.

This apricot tea is a case in point. It is at first taste relatively similar to Adagio’s Draught of Peace (of which you know I am a huge fan), which isn’t really a surprise as they both contain apricot and it is the overarching flavour in both teas. However, the Adagio blend contains all sorts of other blended teas which make for quite a complex taste, whereas this blend is extremely simple — black tea, apricot flavour and some sunflower petals thrown in to make it look pretty — it works perfectly and I absolutely adore it.

Presumably because of its simplicity it is also considerably cheaper, although that isn’t really a consideration I make when choosing tea. After all, regardless of what tea it is, it’s much cheaper to buy (loose or in teabags) than paying for a cup made by one of the big coffee chains (which is also usually inferior).




Because there is far less blending the apricot taste is sharper, yet not tart and the tea has a cleaner more direct flavour. You get hit with the smell of apricots when you pour it, it’s there assailing your nostrils as you raise the mug and it’s like an explosion of fruit on your tongue when you drink it.

Sticking to one tea means it’s less caffeinated, which for me makes a more enjoyable brew (black tea that’s too strong can give me a headache). It’s not as strong as Draught of Peace but is every bit as enjoyable and for me, probably more drinkable (although it won’t stop me drinking both).

Obviously, it’s still a black tea and as it contains only flavour not large chunks of apricot (alas) it is as sweet as normal black tea (i.e. it’s not). So, for me, it’s pretty much undrinkable without sugar, but with a teaspoon of demerara the flavours really ramp up and it’s a wonderful tea to spend the morning or early afternoon drinking. I can quite happily drink it black but it is just as good with milk.




As for brewing time, they say 3-5 minutes, which was fine at the top end but I’d have given it another minute or so. With the second mug, I forgot about it until about 9 or 10 minutes in by which time it was beginning to turn bitter — hence the milk, which adds a touch of smoothness and dulls the bitterness. I didn’t try it cold as it didn’t last long enough, but I’m sure it would be just as good and I’m thinking it would make for a nice refreshing iced tea on a hot summers day.

As I mentioned previously, I liked this tea so much that I bought more of it this weekend as Kent & Sussex Tea & Coffee Co. have a discount code valid until midnight tonight. You can get 10% off all their stock and get a free sample of their Fruits of the Forest Tisane using the code TISANE.

What’s not to love about that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honey Bee Beautiful - Bluebird Tea Co.

Favourite Tea League Table (Updated 12 August 2017)

Blue Raspberry Tea – Bluebird Tea Co.