Blue Spring Oolong – Kent & Sussex Tea & Coffee Co.

Yes, I know I said I was going to review some teas from another brand, and I will, soon, but today’s tea is Blue Spring Oolong by the Kent & Sussex Tea & Coffee Co. (yes, it's another Oolong).



Ingredients- Chinese Oolong and Mallow Petals

They describe it thus:

“Blue Spring Oolong is a very fine and rare Ti Kuan Yin Special grade tea from the Chinese tea growing province of Fujian. Blue Mallow flowers were added to this tea to represent the freshwater spring that was created by Guan Yin, The Iron Goddess of Mercy to rescue villagers from drought. This semi fermented tea is still traditionally hand crafted in small batches.”




This is a delicate tea but is extremely drinkable. It has a light flavour, slightly floral, with that quintessential Oolong coming through strongly.  Of all the Oolongs I’ve tried, I would say this is the smoothest yet and one that you could easily drink a lot of without feeling that you’ve overdone it.

Kent & Sussex Tea & Coffee Co. suggest that you use only 1 teaspoon per cup, which is generally my default anyway, and it was more than enough to bring out the full flavour of the tea, even with the 2 minute brewing time. Interestingly, although they say that it quickly turns bitter if you go over that time, I didn’t find that to be the case with the second pot I brewed, which I left for about 4 or 5 minutes because of my terrible memory.




This isn’t a tea that lends itself particularly well to rebrewing as it has such a delicate flavour to start with, but when you’re using so little tea each time anyway that’s not really a problem.

Overall, this is an extremely pleasant tea and is probably my favourite of the non-milk Oolongs I’ve tried. I could drink this all day quite happily and it’s perfect for the evening as it’s low in caffeine. This is definitely an excellent tea for those who aren’t keen on or can’t drink for health reasons, the milk Oolongs I so love.

It was also perfect when I had a migraine (which is the reason I’m reviewing this not something else) as it doesn’t have any strong or intense smells or flavours and, therefore, didn’t exacerbate the symptoms, yet is good at helping with hydration without needing to stick to boring water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honey Bee Beautiful - Bluebird Tea Co.

Favourite Tea League Table (Updated 12 August 2017)

Blue Raspberry Tea – Bluebird Tea Co.