Felix Felicis — Adagio Teas


Felix Felicis is also known as Liquid Luck. It is a magical potion that makes the drinker lucky for a period of time, depending on how much is taken, during which everything they attempt will be successful. It is meant to be used sparingly, however, as it causes giddiness, recklessness and dangerous overconfidence if taken in excess. Felix is highly toxic in large quantities and is also a banned substance in all organised competitions such as Quidditch, along with all other methods of cheating. It is very difficult to make, disastrous to get wrong, and requires six months to stew before it’s ready to be consumed. 




Ingredients: rooibos tea, honeybush tea, natural almond flavour, natural hazelnut flavour, natural caramel flavour

The teas used to create this blend are: rooibos almond, rooibos caramel and honeybush hazelnut.

Felix Felicis is one of the blends in the Magic Potions sampler box by Adagio Teas and is probably one of my favourites despite all the criticisms I’m about to level at it. Personally, I don’t find the smell particularly tempting as I can’t detect any of the nuttiness that should be there as the rooibos overpowers everything else, and while I don’t mind rooibos as long as it’s well disguised, I’m not keen on the smell of it.

Without sugar, I find this tea to be quite bland and yet again the ‘nutty’ quality that I’m looking for doesn’t shine through. It really is quite dull to start with although it gets better and perhaps slightly more noticeable the more you drink it. A teaspoon of demerara brings out the flavour a little more but I’m still unable to detect either almond or hazelnut despite trying really hard to find it.

Adagio recommend brewing this tea for 5 minutes and I would say that it probably needs to be a bit longer if you want it to have a decent flavour but then, I suspect although I haven’t tried it, you run the risk of the tea turning bitter.

Having said all this, the tea actually does have a pleasant flavour and creaminess, if not what you would expect, and being decaffeinated it would certainly be my choice of drink for late afternoon or evening and also when I have a headache and want something flavourful but not too overpowering (see, all teas have their place).

I actually really enjoyed drinking this tea, so much so that I was loath to put milk in it in case it ruined the drink (I’m not a big fan of milk in rooibos) and I have no idea what it’s like cold as it didn’t last long enough.

Sadly, every time I’ve been on the website this has been out of stock so I am left with only a couple of small teaspoons that I will have to guard like gold dust. I did consider that I should get samplers of the three teas used in the blend and have a go at blending it myself but unfortunately, only the rooibos hazelnut is available on the UK site. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honey Bee Beautiful - Bluebird Tea Co.

Blue Raspberry Tea – Bluebird Tea Co.

Bird & Blend Tea Co. - Butter Brew (Limited Edition)